Csound Book ... fwd

Subject: Csound Book ... fwd
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 07:04:16 EST

Sorry for doubles. Fwd from Richard Boulanger.

Subj: SEAMUS-L: The Csound Book & The Csound Catalog with Audio

From: SEAMUS-L@seamus.lsu.edu
=============================
Dear Colleagues, Students and Friends,

I want to write you about the status of The Csound Book
which I have been working on for the past 5 years and tell
you of a related new project I am currently negotiating
with MIT Press.

First... about The Csound Book:

According to MIT Press, the "bound book date" for the
Csound Book is January 21, 2000. Both the Csound Book
itself and the 2 CD-ROMS which accompany it are being
reproduced at this very instant. I had no idea that these
final phases would take so long and require so many
additional back and fourths. In any case, the price is
still $55.00 and I hope that when you see it, you feel that
it was worth the wait.

My main contact at MIT Press, Douglas Sery has told me that
if any of you are interested in using The Csound Book as a
textbook in your classes this spring semester, that they
can arrange bindery shipments. To make arrangement for
this, you should contact him directly <dsery@mit.edu>.

Now... about one of my new Csound projects:

The Csound Instrument Catalog with Compressed Audio

As many of you know, The Csound Book includes 2 cd-roms
which feature an additional set of 42 chapters, 50
compositions, 2000+ working and aligned/re-edited
instruments, dozens of Csound utilities, additional html
tutorials, HTML and PDF manuals, Csound executables for a
variety of platforms and, of course, the source code. CD 1
is an HTML disk and CD 2 is a Data disk. But while things
were taking so long to come back from the typesetter and
the layout people, my students and I continued crunching on
instruments and began compressing all audio produced by the
2000+ orchestras and scores with QDesign Pro. As a
result, I produced a 3rd HTML CD-ROM which I am calling:

The Csound Catalog with Audio

I tried to convince MIT Press to include this CD with the
book, but they were concerned about raising the price (as
you all know, they have been advertising this thing for
more than 6 months now at Amazon.com) and about the binding
falling apart because of too many CDs stuck into the
jacket.

So, I am currently negotiating with MIT Press to release
the Csound Catalog with Audio as a separate, but related
Csound Book product. There will probably be a blow-in card
in the book. I think this will happen, but new initiatives
such as these take time. To them, this represents a new
marketing model.... not exactly a book, not exactly an
Audio CD, but we are working on it. Still, I wanted
desperately to get something out there before the end of
the year, so I asked their permission to produce, sell and
distribute a limited set of these on my own and with the
help of my student assistants, I have the e-commerce thing
happening.

Are you interested in purchasing a copy of the Csound
Catalog with Audio? If so, you can go to:

http://www.csounds.com/catalog/

The Csound Catalog with Audio is really the 3rd CD-ROM that
should have been bundled with The Csound Book, but at
$55.00 for the book they couldn't justify it at the Press.
It is an HTML CD-ROM that contains Quicktime QDesign
compressed audio of each of the 2000+ edited, aligned,
debugged, standardized instruments in The Csound Catalog
which I have been collecting over the past 20 years. It is
unique in that it does not contain any of the Csound
Book's Chapter instruments. They are on one of the Book
CD-ROMS. It does not contain any of the featured Csound
Music from the Csound Book either. Those 50 compositions
are also found on the Book CD-ROMS. What is here is ALL
THE AUDIO... just a click away. You don't have to render
or complile any of the orchestras to find out which ones
are most interesting to you. I compressed the audio at a
10 to 1 ratio (still at 44.1k stereo) and the cd-rom still
totals over 500 meg. And as you well know, it would take
over 50 Audio CDs to hold all these files uncompressed and
you would be rendering Csound jobs for the next month or
two, even on the fastest Pentinum III or G4. To me, The
Csound Catalog with Audio is a wonderfully useful,
convenient and browseable, audio database. Further, I have
also included my chapter and tutorials from The Csound
Book, all linked to the newest html manual. Plus, I have
included the 4.01 mac, pc, linux executables and much more.
Quite frankly, The Csound Catalog with Audio would be ideal
for introductory courses in Computer Music and could get
you by while waiting for MIT Press to deliver the books and
other CD-ROMS!

I am charging $19.95 plus shipping ($1.20 US and $7.20
International) and $2.00 handling. A portion of the money
from this limited initial sale of The Csound Catalog with
Audio will go back to my student assistants, some will go
to the Robert Cooper Memorial Fund, some will cover the
cost of producing the CDs and lastly, some will go toward
paying off my over $20,000 in outstanding debts I have
accumulated paying and supporting the 19 student assistants
who helped me complete The Csound Book (and a few hospital
bills along the way too... but that's another story.)

Please buy a copy, don't make a copy and encourage
your students to buy/not make a copy too. Thank you.

To end, I wish you all a happy and productive holiday and a
wonderful new year. Great things always happen at the turn
of the century. I hope that The Csound Book will be one of
them and maybe the Catalog will help to get you in the
spirit and gear you up.

Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Richard Boulanger

p.s.

Some of you may wonder about Robert Cooper and the Robert
Cooper Memorial Fund.

Dr. Robert Cooper was a composer, teacher, father (of
three) and a Csound evangelist at the University of
Missouri, Kansas City where he worked for James Mobberley.
Robert and I developed a friendship while co-authoring an
article on Csound for Keyboard Magazine several years ago
and when doing some work together for Analog Devices (a
nice set of HTML Extended Csound tutorials). In his
mid-forties, and in seemingly good health (he was a
Vietnam vet and a black belt), he fell ill and died
suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack in the fall of
1997. To me, he embodied the spirit of Csound better than
anyone I had ever met and in his memory, I have dedicated
The Csound Book to him. Before passing away, Robert had
completed and submitted several chapters and a number of
compositions for The Csound Book and these are featured on
the CD-ROMS. I hope that you and many others will get to
know him from this work of his and from continued
performances of his compositions. I am sure you would have
really liked him. He was one of those kind of people that
inspire you and make you feel good about yourself. He was
the greatest kind of teacher because he was a perpetual
student himself. Whenever I was with him, I was always
touched by the spark of joy which burned in his eyes. He
was a true mentor to his students and a wonderful husband
and father to his wife and three children, (one of whom is
quite seriously ill.) Robert Cooper always put everyone
else first... family, friends, students. And still, quite
miraculously, managed to do his own work as well... and
these were beautiful and memorable creations. Dr. Robert
Cooper was great person, and is greatly missed.

The Cooper Memorial Fund was set up by family and friends
to help support his children's educational and medical
needs and I have contributed to it in the past and intend
to continue contributing to it from Csound Book, Catalog
and Audio CD profits in the future. Here is the address:

Robert L. Cooper Memorial Fund
c/o Julia White - 530
Mercantile Bank of Kansas City
PO Box 419147