Re: soundscape analysis? Get real! Get SpectraFoo

Subject: Re: soundscape analysis? Get real! Get SpectraFoo
From: Alexandra Hettergott (a.hettergott@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 15:47:53 EST

(mes quatre sous into the pool of this discussion...)

>one of our products is SpectraFoo, which will run as a TDM plug in, a MAS
>plug in and as a stand alone application on the MAC PowerPC, G3 and G4
>computers. [...]
>SpectraFoo is capable of up to 64K point FFT analysis in real time, which
>gives accuracy from DC to Nyquist with a granularity of 2/3 hz.

My recommendation, as having it tried out once, the more for people with a little
more basically acoustic (as related to physics, not as opposed to ea) interest in
music, though I am not (at all) convinced as to the next paragraph...
>You can run the spectrograph and spectrogram simultaneouly. Both displays
>show exactly what you are hearing as you hear it.
-- for, as mentioned (privately), the idea of the spectrographical representations
exactly corresponding to the respective auditory impression does get the more
obsolete as one does know a little bit about how to make spectral components visually
appear and disappear...
As to the FFT in general, as pointed out by Roald Baudoux, I think this might be due
to some rather common view being prevailing that FFT representations are more likely
to being immediately and "intuitively" comprehensible (which I would support).
Sincerely,
Alexandra Hettergott.

_______________________
Alexandra Hettergott