Electroacoustic cardigan analysis? Get real!

Subject: Electroacoustic cardigan analysis? Get real!
From: Robert Worby (EAM@sontec.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 19:54:10 EST

Dr Lewis writes:
>I know Robert is fiercely and in my opinion rather uncharitably
>anti-academic, but I feel I must point out that not all academics are
>old or wear cardigans.

Sorry doc but I am not at all fiercely anti-academic. Some of my best
friends are academics and some of them have been known to wear
cardigans! In fact, I confess that I myself once wore a cardigan and I
have also attended an academic institution (but I never actually wore
the cardigan in the said institution). And, I have been known to lecture
in academic institutions! Academies and academics are just fine.

>Of course DIY techno-dance-elektro made by DJ Noiz in
>a bedroom in Trafford is obviously the way forward for electroacoustic
>music

Shurely shome mishtake! I would imagine that there is no OBVIOUS way
forward for electroacoustic music. But DJ Noize and chums do compose
electroacoustic music - no doubt about it - and the work that some of
them produce is as rich, sophisticated and engaging as the music
composed in academies. There's room for both. Lots of room.

The point I was originally trying to make is well articulated by Trevor
Wishart in his excellent tome 'On Sonic Art'. (Page 8 in the original IP
edition) "In the long era of scribery, all people regarding themselves
as cultured or civilised, as opposed to illiterate peasants and
craftsmen, have lived within the confines of an enormous library whose
volumes have laid down what was socially acceptable and in effect
possible to know and to mean." Etc etc .... there's lots more.

The idea that something has to be written, notated or made graphic to
become valid or acceptable is archaic and arcane. Of course I agree with
the arguments, made in other postings, about the eye informing and
assisting the ear; but the primacy of notation in academies still seems
prevalent (not that I've anything against notation!) as is the idea that
music produced in academies is somehow superior, cultured or civilised.
We've had this discussion with the Ars Electronica debacle and the
Electroacoustic versus Techno debates. I'm just glad it's all being
opened up and I'm encouraged to see radio playlists featuring DJ Spooky
and Pierre Boulez.

So I'm just off to find my cardigan, pipe and slippers and sew some
leather elbow patches onto my tweed sports jacket. Oh, and I'll pop on
(oops, bad turn of phrase) a CD of Rockin' Robert Normandeau while I'm
at it. Rock, rock, rock ... bedoynnng queeech drrrr diggadigga neeeep.

--
Robert Worby