Re: soundscape analysis

Subject: Re: soundscape analysis
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 07:15:23 EST

Francis followed with most insightful comments which included ...

>P.S. Je continue à penser, en dépit de ta savante argumentation, que les
>mots "bricolage" et "patchwork" sont péjoratifs pour décrire la musique
>concrète. Désolé!

PS I continue to think, despite your great erudition, that the words
"bricolage" (from bric-a-brac) and "patchwork" are pejorative to describe
(in the description of) musique concrete. Sorry!

>Et je crois que si Schaeffer avait écrit son Traité en anglais (ce qui est
>une idée cocasse), nous aurions perdu beaucoup des subtilités d'une langue
>qu'il utilise avec art et nuances; n'oublions pas qu'il se considérait
>avant tout comme un ÉCRIVAIN.

And I think that if Schaeffer had written his Treatise in english (which
is a comical / ridiculous idea), we would have lost a great deal (many
of) of the subtlety (subtleties) of a language that he uses with art and
nuance (grace and finesse); let us not forget that he considered himself
first and foremost a WRITER.

Regarding the Francis' first view, the question could be posed as to what
constitutes patchwork (or maybe a better term could be collage): the
concept being that with collage, large(r) objects are taken, _as such_,
and used (transformed or modified, or not), as the basic vocabulary unit
of the piece.

This (loose) 'definition' would appear to fit a large family of musique
concrete pieces composed (assembled!?) over the past 50 years.

As to Schaeffer's having written in french, a survey of the literature of
the fields of ea/cm/sd reflect the biases of the linguistic bases of
french and english. Technical books in languages other than english either
adopt the 'english' term, some linguistic adaptation of the english term,
or translate / invent a new term. (Anyone remember when OTA was french
[quebecois] for VCA, rather than meaning operational transconductance
amplifier?)

One of the beauties of the (p)arts of Schaeffer's writings that are at
once annoying and enlightening, is the effect of the clarity of being
vague. Wavelike, words flow forwards, crashing into each other, providing
momentary insight, to be lost a fragment later when an attempt at
magnification reveals yet another universe of consistent internal
contradistinctions.

Cheers, and many thanks Francis

Always the best to you

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca