Re: soundscape analysis

Subject: Re: soundscape analysis
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 10:57:40 EST

>At 11:45 AM 12/11/99 -0400, KEVIN AUSTIN <KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca> wrote:
>>Maybe part of the question relates to whether a spectralgraphic display
>>yields the correct kind of information for analysis.
>
>I don't remember the original question. Shallow me, I got interested
>because there's a lot of stuff that I have for electronics & instruments in
>rather poor pencil or ink scores with only cues from the electronic
>structures shown. I would love to be able to print out both a spectral
>analysis and a waveform display along with the structures and instrumental
>parts.

The right tools for the right job. ASA grapples with the questions /
issues of segregation and streaming. It could be that useful analytic
tools would be multi-dimemsional: text, timeline, pictoral (time-based
and non-time based), descriptions of sources / processes, spectrograms
and amplitude (wave shape), running / available concurrently ... all in
realtime ... er, and with the sound ...

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca