Re: soundscape analysis

Subject: Re: soundscape analysis
From: david stevens (david@resonant.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 04:24:50 EST

hi Carlos

SoundMaker has an FFT analysis function - you can see what's going on in
a general kind of way.
(SoundMaker, with the SoundMagic plugins, is still IMHO the best
software on the mac for working with sound whether you're doing dance or
ea. It has it's disadvantages, and it's not as slick as some other
programmes, but it has a huge number of fx algorithms, and is great for
montaging. (And it's very cheep!) I'm just not sure if Micromat are
still selling it (and thereby hangs a tale), though last i heard the
plugins were still available).

Metasynth does a spectral analysis, which you can then manipulate and
resynthesize. you can set the resolution of the analysis window
(time/frequency ie pixels per note/scale). So you can not only see
what's going on (roughly) in the music, you can use it as the basis for
something completely different (different scales, modify parts of the
sound, turn the soundscape into a filter and so on)
And from the same company - if you have a midi file of a composition
(!!!!!), in Xx you can turn off everything but the note display - so you
can see visually what patterns exist in the music. (this is a great
educational tool).