Re: soundscape analysis

Subject: Re: soundscape analysis
From: matt kober (mattkober@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 10:50:40 EST

The best program I've seen yet for spectral analysis is called "mac the
scope". The Spectrograph is highly accurate, detailed and can be set to
scroll in full screen mode (in 3d, yet!), providing a very large and
detailed visual representation of the spectral info of a given sound. You
can take screen shots of parts that you want and paste them into Photoshop
or whatever. It's even fun to "watch" a piece of Mozart or something,
seeing all the instruments popping up along the spectrum. I've found this
prog to be indespensable for analysis. The problem : It's wicked
expensive. I think they are charging something like 400 clams for it.
However the demo works pretty well and will display your files (or
playthrough a CD) for about 5 min before quitting. This is still pretty
useful. You can find it somewhere in http://www.tucows.com . I'm positive
I've seen it there...

peace,

matt