Re: soundscape analysis

Subject: Re: soundscape analysis
From: Roald Baudoux (roald.baudoux@brutele.be)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 11:37:03 EST

> Does anyone know whether a programme exists that may turn soundscapes
> (or pieces of EA music) into graphic represantations for the purpose of
> musical analysis?

As far as I know, you cannot go beyond signal analysis (FFT, wavelets...).
A program which would extract shapes and structures as we perceive them
doesn't exist yet althought it would be highly useful. Some work going in
this direction (human hearing modeling) is made by Marc Leman at the RUG in
Ghent (Belgium) but much is still to be done and I am not sure musical
analysis will benefit of such researches very soon (data reduction is
probably the main goal at this moment).

Otherwise, the GRM in Paris made the "Acousmographe" software (for
Macintosh) which makes drawing of analysis scores easier but it doesn't do
the analysis itself. Moreover, I don't think it is supported anymore.

Roald Baudoux