Re: underwater recording

Subject: Re: underwater recording
From: Dr.Godfried-Willem RAES (Godfriedwillem.Raes@ping.be)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 16:58:02 EST

At 13:26 07-12-99 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm going to be involved in a project where underwater recording is a
>distinct possibility and I wondered if anyone had any advice on how I can
>keep my microphones dry whilst I'm doing it. Has anyone tried to do this
>- any advice would be gratefully received.
>
>Thanks
>
>Pete "Jacques Cousteau" Stollery

It makes little sense to use any air microphone under water. There are
special underwatermikes on the (lab)market, but you can make your uwn using
piezodisks (sort of a contact mike) sealed with epoxy rosin.
Sonar type underwater mikes is what I have used a lot. They work excellent
but require special demodulation circuitry!

Regards,

Dr.Godfried-Willem RAES
LOGOS FOUNDATION Center for New Music Production
Postal adress: Kongostraat 35
Logos Tetrahedron concert hall: Bomastraat 26-28

9000 GENT BELGIUM

tel.:[32]-9-2238089 fax.:[32]-9-2250434
email: godfriedwillem.raes@ping.be
VISIT LOGOS' MEGAWEBSITE: http://www.ping.be/logos