RE: underwater recording

Subject: RE: underwater recording
From: steve bradley (sbradley@umbc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 06:23:41 EST

Nice thread here. Recently I too have investigated hydrophones and a
colleague at UMBC from music lent me an interesting book called "How to
Build and Use Low-Cost Hydrophones" by Frank Watlinton, TAB BOOKS #1079,
Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17217, 1979. Not sure if it is in print any longer.

If I am successful in constructing one of these I will post my results on
my web site.

best of luck,

steve

>>>Tupperware !
>>>

>>Tupperware?
>>
>>Pete
>
>There is a company in London called *Extreme Facilities* - 0171 801 9111 -
>who specialize in unusual audio/video equipment - such as surveillance gear
>and waterproof housings for cameras and (I presume) microphones. Give them
>a try. I've used them for digital camera housings in the past and they were
>very helpful.
>
>Tupperware - the sealable plastic boxes you store food in - is a 'lo-fi'
>solution, which a few people I know have tried successfully - sealing mics
>inside them and drilling holes for the cable plugged with a grommet (not
>the Nick Park cartoon character, but the rubber seal variety), although
>this does obviously compromise the mic sensitivity & frequency response
>etc. (Grommets are available from Canford Audio - 0191 418 1122 !).
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Ian Stonehouse
>

>_______________________________________
>
>Ian Stonehouse, Studio Manager
>Electronic Music Studio
>Goldsmiths College, University of London
>New Cross, London SE14 6NW
>
>tel. +44 (0)171 919 7643 (direct line+ansafone)
> +44 (0)171 919 7640 (music dept office)
>fax. +44 (0)171 919 7644
>email: i.stonehouse@gold.ac.uk
>
>http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/ianstonehouse/