RE: underwater recording

Subject: RE: underwater recording
From: ian stonehouse (i.stonehouse@gold.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 09:31:48 EST

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm going to be involved in a project where underwater recording is a
>>>distinct possibility and I wondered if anyone had any advice on how I can
>>>keep my microphones dry whilst I'm doing it. Has anyone tried to do this
>>>- any advice would be gratefully received.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Pete "Jacques Cousteau" Stollery
>>>

>>Tupperware !
>>

>Tupperware?
>
>Pete

There is a company in London called *Extreme Facilities* - 0171 801 9111 -
who specialize in unusual audio/video equipment - such as surveillance gear
and waterproof housings for cameras and (I presume) microphones. Give them
a try. I've used them for digital camera housings in the past and they were
very helpful.

Tupperware - the sealable plastic boxes you store food in - is a 'lo-fi'
solution, which a few people I know have tried successfully - sealing mics
inside them and drilling holes for the cable plugged with a grommet (not
the Nick Park cartoon character, but the rubber seal variety), although
this does obviously compromise the mic sensitivity & frequency response
etc. (Grommets are available from Canford Audio - 0191 418 1122 !).

Hope this helps.

Ian Stonehouse

_______________________________________

Ian Stonehouse, Studio Manager
Electronic Music Studio
Goldsmiths College, University of London
New Cross, London SE14 6NW

tel. +44 (0)171 919 7643 (direct line+ansafone)
            +44 (0)171 919 7640 (music dept office)
fax. +44 (0)171 919 7644
email: i.stonehouse@gold.ac.uk

http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/ianstonehouse/