Re: Fw: Save OMS! Sauvez OMS! [ot]

Subject: Re: Fw: Save OMS! Sauvez OMS! [ot]
From: Sean Ferguson (ferguson@music.mcgill.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 28 1999 - 19:41:25 EST

This is an excerpt from an article on MacCentral at:

http://www.maccentral.com/news/9911/27.lieshman.shtml

Musical Macs: Will Apple buy OMS from Opcode?
by David Leishman, dleishman@maccentral.com
Contributing Editor and Columnist
November 27, 1999, 7:00 pm ET

         Two sources indicate that Apple will buy the Open Music System
(OMS) from Opcode Systems Inc., a subsidiary of Gibson Musical
Instruments. Pricing was not specified.

         OMS (originally Opcode MIDI System) is a system extension for
managing MIDI instruments and configurations. It has been an industry
standard since Apple stopped supporting its own MIDI Manager.

         With the future of Opcode in doubt, users and developers have
been calling for a statement on OMS's future. Many have suggested that a
sale to Apple would be the most useful for all concerned. It would free
Opcode from continuing development on a non-commercial product, provide
Apple with a recognized standard that they could further integrate into
system software -- it is already supported by Apple's QuickTime technology
-- and assure users that their investment in OMS documents and libraries
would remain vital.