Re: re protools question

Subject: Re: re protools question
From: Kevin Busby (busbykg@novell2.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 10:48:24 EST

Katharine Norman wrote:

> Well yes, student error is certainly exacerbating the situation, but
> the underlying
> problem is that Protools sessions save information in a way that
> is machine dependent, the result being that a session that works fine
> on one machine cannot be transferred from that machine to another
> without hassle

I think you'll find that the problem isn't even computer-dependent; it's
worse than that! Move the contents of an "audio" drive to another and then
back again (this was my way of defragmenting when I didnt trust the current
version of SpeedTools!) and you'll find that Pro Tools has the same problem,
even though the "pathname" hasn't changed. I suspect that PT has its own
"clever" method of keeping track of files.

> without hassle - if students, inadvertently or by choice, have files
> dotted all over, it can take a while to reorientate their session.

Moving stray files to a "lost property" folder - en route to the trash can -
magically enables orienteering skills people claim not to have. >;-)

Kevin B

--
Kevin Busby, Studio Manager, Department of Music, University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England. Tel: +44-(0)121-414 5785.