techy question - protools pathname problem

Subject: techy question - protools pathname problem
From: Katharine Norman (K.Norman@gold.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 12:41:34 EST

I just wondered (now that the loud stuff has quietened down for a bit...;-)
if anyone has a solution to this problem.

We have four studios used by undergrad students for protools. One is also
the teaching space.

We copied the work from the small studios to the big studio, and want to
play the copies in class. But the pt sessions try to reference the original
computer when searching for audio files used in the session (where is...?).
Of course, one can go and 'find' the new copies of the files etc, using the
dialogue window, but this is difficult for beginners to deal with.

Same thing if we attempt to play the sessions remotely (using the chooser)
or from removable media backups.

Is there any way to get Protools to work with relative rather than absolute
pathnames in order to solve this problem?

thanks,

Katharine

*****
Dr Katharine Norman
Director
Electronic Music Studios
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London SE14 6NW

+44 (0)171 919 7986 (direct) +44 (0)171 919 7643 (studio)
+44 (0)171 919 7640 (music dept office)
fax (0)171 919 7644 email: K.Norman@gold.ac.uk
http://musicinfo.gold.ac.uk/music/staff/norman.html
*****