FWD ... loud and subwoofs

Subject: FWD ... loud and subwoofs
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 05:11:23 EST

From: "Jean-Marc Pelletier" <gustave@iwa.att.ne.jp>
To: <cecdiscuss@concordia.ca>
Subject: Re: LOUD / quiet (was Re: [Fwd: Concerts in Nov.])
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:22:24 +0900

Concerning this talk on loud sounds, I've been wondering, can very loud
subaudio sound waves cause hearing loss. Would listening to a sustained
10Hz sound at about 130dB be potentially dangerous?

Last May, I did the music for a dance show at Theatre LaChapelle with
Jean-Francois Prud'homme. He thought of placing a subwoofer under the seats,
on the wooden structure of the bleachers. Those extra vibrations certainly
helped create the illusion that the sound was louder than it actually was.

It seems to me that most of the rush that comes with listening to loud
sounds isn't tied to hearing at all, but to the "spill" into the sense of
touch.

Has anyone ever thought of vibrating floors for dance clubs?

Jean-Marc Pelletier
Second hand bell, Nanto Junior High Symphony Orchestra

 It's getting chilly.

end fwd