Re: Granular Synthesis (the duo)

Subject: Re: Granular Synthesis (the duo)
From: Chris Meloche (cmeloche@julian.uwo.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 01:53:36 EST

At 08:20 PM 11/16/99 -0400, Ned Bouhalassa <nedb@videotron.ca> wrote:

>I don't think I've ever heard so many variations on a low
>frequency drone (and I mean that as a compliment).

Have you heard the wonderful series of works by Eliane Radigue called
"Trilogie de la Mort"? The 3 pieces - Kyema, Kalisha and Koume - have been
put together as a 3 CD set on the XI label out of NY.

Each part is aproximately one-hour in duration and based largely on low
frequency drones. The works are very static with a minimum of very slow
textural elements changing over a long period of time. These are among my
favorite works of this type.

Once again, I feel that the "physicality" of the textural nature in this
music comes through extremely well at lower listening levels. I've never
experienced this music at a high volume in a concert setting but I am sure
that it would certainly be an interesting experience as well.

Cheers,
Chris
cmeloche@julian.uwo.ca