re: LOUD / quiet (was Re: [Fwd: Concerts in Nov.])

Subject: re: LOUD / quiet (was Re: [Fwd: Concerts in Nov.])
From: Chris Meloche (cmeloche@julian.uwo.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 19:00:42 EST

At 11:43 PM 11/15/99 -0700, John Oliver <oliver@earsay.com> wrote:

>I was at that event too, Chris. I remember it differently. Paul did not
>spark off the debate after his presentation: members of the audience
>hurled insults at him, stormed out, etc. Paul responded to some of the
>insults and accusations rather forcefully if I recall. He met fire with
>fire.

I recall that as well. The audience (generally polite Canadians... ahem)
actually booed him. I believe that his response was something like, "send
it to me in a letter" or something to that affect.

I also seem to recall that the work was broadcast on CBC's "Two New Hours"
and I was wondering if they would include the negative response to the
diffusion. I seem to recall that they did leave the audience reaction in
tact and that there was some discussion of this after the piece was played
on the air.

>I remember a loud concert. However, I also remember being rather
>impressed at how Paul achieved high density of sound and high volume
>without risking hearing overload. There were no dangerous spikes or
>drastic changes in levels to cause sudden changes in the ear's movement
>and I remember a balanced representation of all frequencies and enough
>change of texture to maintain a flow that I did not find damaging to the
>ears.

Yes, these textures were even apparent from my vantage point... through the
walls in the lobby. I believe that this was one of the pieces featured on
his CD at the time and I found all of the aspects that you mention quite
apparent even at much lower listening level.

I find that I can be equally "physically moved" by such a work at a quiet
monitoring level. I think that the physicality at the lower volume is
compounded by as much of an emotional state of being pulled into the
work... as opposed to feeling like I am being beaten over the head by shear
volume.

Cheers,
Chris
cmeloche@julian.uwo.ca