Re: [Fwd: Concerts in Nov.]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Concerts in Nov.]
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@vax2.concordia.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 06:41:04 EST

Chris recalls:

>All of this talk of high-volume concert levels brings back memories of the
>CEC >convergence< festival at the Banff Centre back in 1989. At that time,
>Paul Dolden sparked off a similar line of debate after the presentation of
>his work "Below the Walls of Jericho". Anybody else remember that?

>Since I was aware of what to expect, I positioned myself out in the theatre
>lobby just before this work began. I do remember others out there, as well.
>From the lobby, it just seemed like an earthquake rolling through the area.

The seating was on 'bleachers' (like at a high school basketball game).
Ingress was difficult, and with 120 people cheek by jowl, egress, except
from the end of the rows, was almost impossible.

I sat about six seats away from a mother who held her 5-6 year old
daughter on her knee. While most of us were able to block our ears with
our fingers, the mother chose to put her fingers in her daughter's ears.

kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca