Re: [Fwd: Concerts in Nov.]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Concerts in Nov.]
From: Chris Meloche (cmeloche@julian.uwo.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 14 1999 - 13:44:37 EST

All of this talk of high-volume concert levels brings back memories of the
CEC >convergence< festival at the Banff Centre back in 1989. At that time,
Paul Dolden sparked off a similar line of debate after the presentation of
his work "Below the Walls of Jericho". Anybody else remember that?

Since I was aware of what to expect, I positioned myself out in the theatre
lobby just before this work began. I do remember others out there, as well.
>From the lobby, it just seemed like an earthquake rolling through the area.

Funny, I have listened to Paul Dolden's music (designed with a similar
high-volume intent, I am sure) at *very* low volumes and found it much more
interesting that way! I find that it reveals much more of the hidden
textures which get lost in a seemingly heavy-handed LOUD presentation.

Well, "different strokes..." as they say...

Cheers,
Chris
cmeloche@julian.uwo.ca