Re: [Fwd: Concerts in Nov.]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Concerts in Nov.]
From: Katharine Norman (K.Norman@gold.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 08:24:16 EST

>The offer lasts 'til we can't hear anything over 15k...
>
>:-)

My brief (Lo-)pass on this noise thing...
I'd be interested to know people's views on the volume level issue. I, too,
heard Pierre Henry (in London) and found it excrutiatingly loud. I was
really disappointed because I just had to leave even though I found some of
what he was doing quite interesting. I was in pain but, more to the point,
I felt he was deliberately 'terrorising' my listening and that the material
didn't mesh with this apparent intention. I've been to more than a few
events like this in recent months and I find it confusing...is loud
better? butch-er? bigger?

is it that technologically mediated sound is hard to make 'present'? Seems
to me that too often the volume is cranked up in order to make it 'real',
'here', 'now' - instead of using a differentiated mix to provide the less
tangible subtleties of 'real', 'here', 'there', 'then', 'now,' 'coming this
way'....

On the other hand, as a yoof I used to play loud music in my room in order
to bug my parents - oy, LISTEN MUM, I'm busy forming MY OWN PERSONALITY!!!
My parents went out and walked the dog.
Now I'm old(er) and I wonder if my response to these loud guys is the one
they're aiming for...

except that PH is old enough to be me dad ;-)

Katharine

*****
Dr Katharine Norman
Director
Electronic Music Studios
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London SE14 6NW

+44 (0)171 919 7986 (direct) +44 (0)171 919 7643 (studio)
+44 (0)171 919 7640 (music dept office)
fax (0)171 919 7644 email: K.Norman@gold.ac.uk
http://musicinfo.gold.ac.uk/music/staff/norman.html
*****