Re: to MD or not to MD?

Subject: Re: to MD or not to MD?
From: Steven Naylor (Steven.Naylor@dal.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 15:46:16 EST

I've used MD for 5 or 6 years for professional theatre applications. In
that application it's been great - and the newer ATRAC compression is
significantly better than earlier versions. In a non-focused context, it
will be impossible to hear any difference between a good MD and a good DAT,
though the sonic difference is real, and may be an issue in some
applications.

I use a Walkman DAT for field 'gathering', but if I were in the market for
a personal, discrete recorder now (as opposed to a sole, professional
machine), I would definitely buy MD instead of DAT (unless I needed another
DAT machine anyway).

The issues I see are as follows:

Mic preamps/ input (stereo mini) - same (big nuisance)
Media durability - MD
Size - MD (a modest advantage)
Quick access - MD
Battery life - MD
Cost - MD
Media cost - MD
Sonic quality - DAT (but with ATRAC 4.5 and beyond, not a big difference)

And the winner is........... depends on what you really need it for, I guess