Re: to MD or not to MD?

Subject: Re: to MD or not to MD?
From: dave solursh (dsolursh@georgian.net)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 07:03:12 EST

Hay Ross, my experience with DAT VS MD is little but I did hear a few
differences and have been grappling with the same question. In the ideal
world I would own one of each (Well maybe 10 of each) but I have had to
make a choice of one for the moment. I chose to go DAT for a few reasons,
the BIGGEST is because I wanted to have Balanced XLR inputs for my mic, and
I couldn't find one portable MD with XLR. I enjoy finding all those
little hidden bits of sound within a source sound, or in a sound scape and
play apon them. When I recorded with MD I was not able to find these
"Little hidden bits" as well as with DAT, maybe it is because of the
diference in (bandwidth?) I am not 100% sure. I would love to have a MD
for "servailence" type recording or any recording of voice for, non
manipaulaion of voice for text purposes. THE MD is small compact and looks
like a walkman, taking away much of the intimidation factor when recording
a subject. (OR sneaking into a show and recording your favorit band)
$^)
        Hope it helps, Dave.

>Hi All,
>
>I know this has come up before, but I'd be interested to hear other people's
>experiences and opinions...
>
>I'm considering purchasing a portable MiniDisk recorder (possibly sony
>MZR55CG) and I was wondering if anyone is using this format for serious ea
>work? I'd be looking at using it for archival location recording (as opposed
>to broadcast/production recording), and perhaps (hopefully) for gathering
>source material for compositions.
>
>Would I be fooling myself to think that a MiniDisk could in any way shape or
>form replace a DAT? Has the sound/compression quality of MiniDisk improved
>at all over the last few years, or is it intrinsically incompatible with the
>broadband requirements of ea?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Ross.
>http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb/