to MD or not to MD?

Subject: to MD or not to MD?
From: Ross Bencina (rossb@audiomulch.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 05:28:18 EST

Hi All,

I know this has come up before, but I'd be interested to hear other people's
experiences and opinions...

I'm considering purchasing a portable MiniDisk recorder (possibly sony
MZR55CG) and I was wondering if anyone is using this format for serious ea
work? I'd be looking at using it for archival location recording (as opposed
to broadcast/production recording), and perhaps (hopefully) for gathering
source material for compositions.

Would I be fooling myself to think that a MiniDisk could in any way shape or
form replace a DAT? Has the sound/compression quality of MiniDisk improved
at all over the last few years, or is it intrinsically incompatible with the
broadband requirements of ea?

Thanks in advance,

Ross.
http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb/