Re: Phonos: ELECTRONIC MUSIC OF THE 50'

Subject: Re: Phonos: ELECTRONIC MUSIC OF THE 50'
From: Larry Austin (austin@sndart.cemi.unt.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 10:21:55 EST

Andres Lewin-Richter wrote:

> ELECTRONIC MUSIC OF THE 50'
>
> This cycle of nine concerts offered during the season 1999-2000 wishes to
> rescue for the public many works produced under the label "Musique
> Concrete"(Paris), "Electronic Music"(Cologne) and "Tape Music"(New York)
> between 1949 and 1959, later these works would receive the generic name of
> "Electroacoustic Music". This was a very fructiferous period in high
> standard compositions, in which young composers established a new sound
> concept which enlarged the traditional instrumental sounds thanks to a
> synergy between technicians and composers.
>
> I (27 Oct.99) MUSIQUE CONCRETE/ París
>
> Works by P.Schaeffer, P.Henry, A.Hodeir and P.Boulez
>
> II ( 24 Nov.99) TAPE MUSIC/New York
>
> Works by V.Ussachevsky, O.Luening and M.Babbitt

Congratulations, Andres Lewin-Richter, on your ambitious and meritorious
series of concerts of electroacoustic music of the 'fifties. I would have
thought,
however, that you would have included the seminal "Project for Music for
Magnetic Tape" (1951-53), organized by John Cage and producing extremely
important tape pieces by Cage, Earle Brown, Morton Feldman, and Christian
Wolff in New York. All were octophonic, surround-sound compositions, the
first of their kind. And the compositional methods involved advanced chance
processes for editing the sounds (both electronically synthesized and
pre-recorded),
far ahead of their contemporaries in the genre.

Again, congratulations.

Larry Austin