Yet Another Virus Hoax on *this* intelligent list? fraid so...

Subject: Yet Another Virus Hoax on *this* intelligent list? fraid so...
From: Stephen Rieck (stephen.rieck1@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 16:47:45 EST

Per Buhl Acs wrote:

> Martin Kløft wrote:
>
> Subject: virus alert...
> Date: tir 2. nov 1999 11:33
>

> Screen Saver Alert:
>
> IMPORTANT --- PLEASE READ THIS AND FORWARD TO ALL
> YOUR FRIENDS. DO NOT
>
> Someone is sending out a very desirable screen
> saver, the Budweiser Frog,
> file name: BUDDYLST.ZIP. If you download it, you
> will lose everything. Your
> hard drive will crash and someone from the Internet
> will get your screen name
> and password. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE UNDER ANY
> CIRCUMSTANCES! IT JUST
> WENT INTO CIRCULATION YESTERDAY, AS FAR AS WE KNOW.
> It is a new, very
> malicious virus and not many people know about it.
> This information was
> announced yesterday morning from Microsoft. Please
> share it with anyone who
> might access the Internet. Once again, pass this
> along to EVERYONE in your
> address book so that this may be stopped.
>
> Also, do not open or even look at any mail that says
> "RETURNED" or "UNABLE
> TO DELIVER" or has an attachment name
> BUDDYLST.ZIP------DELETE THE MESSAGE
> IMMEDIATELY! This virus will attach itself to your
> computer components and
> render them useless. AOL has said that this is a
> very dangerous virus and
> that there is NO remedy for it at this time.

This is YET another *confirmed* and rather old HOAX. Please check this
url for complete information on this well-known *hoax* :
<www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/buddylst.zip.html>
Frankly, if I can check it out in 3 minutes, you could too.
I don't need this sort of digital flotsam on my hard drive, thanks.
- Stephen Rieck (yes, this stuff makes me rather grumpy)