Performance - Escape Velocity. 7/11/99.

Subject: Performance - Escape Velocity. 7/11/99.
From: Garth Paine (garth@activatedspace.com.au)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 16:04:00 EST

Performance Announcement

One night only telematic performance. I apologies for multiple postings.

Garth
---------------

>company in space and dLux media arts present
>

>A TELEMATIC DANCE PERFORMANCE BETWEEN TWO CITIES
>
>escape velocity
>
>Tue, 9 Nov 1999 7:45PM (one night only)

>venues:
>Dancehouse,
>150 Princes Street,
>North Carlton,
>Melbourne, Victoria,
>Australia 3054.
>
>tickets: $7. no concession.
>tel: +61 (0)3 9347 2860
>email: <dancehouse@vicnet.net.au >
>

>Artspace,
>43-51 Cowper Wharf Rd.,
>Woolloomooloo,
>Sydney, NSW,
>Australia.
>
>tickets: $10. / $8. / $6. dLux and Artspace members
>tel: +61 (0)2 9380 4255
>email: < sinsite@ozemail.com.au >

>The performance is part of
>futureScreen 99
>AvAtArs | phantom agents
>identities + role play in web worlds
>symposium online performances
>featuring inter/national artists and theorists

>Two solo dancers - Hellen Sky in Sydney, Louise Taube in Melbourne - are
>joined through ISDN link. Their bodies merge in a virtual fourth dimension
>which is projected onto large screens in both locations.
>
>Escape Velocity is a unique amalgam of choreography, visual imagery, sound
>and real time video interaction. The dancers are 'actual avatars'; their
>performance questions the body's relationship to physical and virtual
>corporeality, technology and gravity. Escape Velocity has featured at
>IDAT 99 (International Dance and Technology), Arizona (linked to Deakin
>University, Melbourne), and SIGGRAPH 98, Florida (linked to Melbourne Town
>Hall for MAP 98, Movement and Performance festival); and Downloading
>Downunder (The Netherlands).
>
>direction Hellen Sky
>choreography, performance Hellen Sky, Louise Taube
>video, visual composition John McCormick
>sound composition Garth Paine
>camera, production Kelli Dipple, Luke Pither
>lighting Nik Pajanti
>administration Jamie McLaren
>

>Escape Velocity was winner of the Green Room Awards in 1998 for
>'Outstanding Creativity in Performance'.
>
>After the performance audiences are invited to stay for an informal
>televideo talk about 'avatars', with John McCormick (CiS, co-director) in
>Melbourne, speaking with the audience in Sydney, and Alessio Cavallaro
>(dLux media arts, director).

>Founded in 1992 by Co-Directors Hellen Sky and John McCormick, Company in
>Space (CiS) is one of Australia's most innovative performance companies,
>utilising computer and communication technologies to create new pathways
>between performer and audience.
>
>In January 2000, CiS will perform 'Escape Velocity' in Artsrave, City of
>Hong Kong Festival 2000. In March 2000, CiS will open the New Moves, New
>Territories Dance Festival in Glasgow, Scotland with 'A Trial By Video'.

> [...]

Cheers,

Garth

Check out some of the tracks off my CD "Escape Velocity"
http://www.activatedspace.com.au
Activated Space
. Composer, Sound Designer, Installation Artist
.. Interactives Designer, Exhibition Consultant
........ph. 61 3 95720133
garth@activatedspace.com.au