Re: Oops!

Subject: Re: Oops!
From: James W. Beauchamp (jwb@timbre.music.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 14:47:47 EST

Charlie wrote:
>> the culpa really belongs to that notorious "Reply-to:
>> cecdiscuss@concordia.ca" line! Any chance of this troublesome header being
>> removed, Kevin?
>
>Please don't - it's normal for a list to use this in the header and list
>aware people know to reply directly when necessary. The difficulty with
>not having it in the header is that to reply _to_ the list, you have to
>intially reply to everyone then manually delete all but the list address
>or else the original sender (and maybe more) gets double copies - then the
>confusion begins... ;-)
>
>Charlie

With my (Unix) mail program, if I hit 'r' it mails to (in this case)
CECDISCUSS. However, if I hit 'R', it mails to the original sender.
So give a thumbs-up to good old ordinary Unix mail, which I've been
using for about 15 years now! Its biggest downside is that it can't
deal with attached non-ascii files. For that I have to resort to
Pine. If I don't know that there is an attached file in the mail,
and I'm using Unix mail, I get endless garbage characters, and
sometimes I have to turn off my modem in order to escape -- yuk!

Jim Beauchamp