Re: A Musicology of Ea/Cm

Subject: Re: A Musicology of Ea/Cm
From: jon_newman@sonymusic.com
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 13:42:05 EDT

Hello to all....please allow me to de-lurk for a moment here.....

Carlos wrote:

>The 1954 tape part of *Déserts* was created in the Groupe de Recherchesde
>Musique Concrète in the same year when Honneger created the tape
>part of *La rivière endormie* there. As to what happens on such tapes,
>ask me not. I do know, however, that Varèse was not entirely pleased
>with the results.

Wasn't this made at the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center? It may be
kind of a meaningless point, except that the discussion does seem to involve
cross-pollination of ideas between North America and Europe.

Also, I do know that Varese refined the tape parts - I think it might have been
a couple of years after the piece premiered. I've heard a recording of the
original versions and they're a lot choppier and the musicality less fully
realized. (And I guess that last sentence, nebulous as it is, is a
justification for a call for a musicology of E-A, or whatever it's called.....)

Best to all
Jon