Re: A Musicology of Ea/Cm

Subject: Re: A Musicology of Ea/Cm
From: Carlos Palombini (pal@npd.ufpe.br)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 14:56:14 EDT

Alexandra Hettergott escreveu:

> >In his article, Landy reviews the musicology of EA music --- 'any music
> >n which electricity has had some involvement in sound registration and/or
> >production other than that of simple microphone recording or amplification'
> >--- according to the traditional division of the discipline: historical
> >musicology, systematic musicology and ethnomusicology, plus critical >musicology.
> >
> -- But why then a "new musicology", as Kevin poses it, at all, if the field is (to be
> considered to be) covered by the traditional threefold division anyway ?, and where,
> as to the contemporary scene, it often might not even be tenable (or desirable) ?
> Integration and a more pluralistic view here might once more seem to be more
> advisable -- don't we have a musiculture of (historical/geographical/technological)
> synchronicity today...?

Well, Landy starts by saying that he's not going to question the usefulness of
thatdivision. In my essay, I do precisely that, I call that tripartition into question,
stating
that all musicology of EA music is necessarily critical, since it cannot accept some
assumptions of Western art music, and hence of its associated musicology.

> >as the musicological
> >text today results from select-copy-and-paste procedures. However, it might
> >be useful to ask to what extent such procedures, in general, result from a
> >certain worldview.
>
> ...or the opposite way around...

oui, tout le monde dit ša, donc ša va sans dire...

Carlos
Palombini@usa.net