Re: softwindows

Subject: Re: softwindows
From: Kevin Busby (busbykg@novell2.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 06:23:41 EDT

Steve Benner wrote:
>At 09:41 28/09/99 +0000, A.J. Moore wrote:
>>

>>I received some advice that a new G4 running softwindows would, even in
>>emulation, still be faster than a PIII.
>
>I'm happy to be proved wrong but I doubt this: Virtual PC on my G3 400 runs
>somewhat slower than my aging pentium 90 (pre MMX!) machine, especially on
>computationally intensive operations.

Don't forget, though, that the G4 features the Altivec instructions
(rechristened "Velocity Engine" by Apple!). I understand it's this which
will make PC emulation much more viable.

>Ultimately, it is more cost-effective to just buy a PC!!

Yes, unless a user has special requirements (e.g. needing to frequently
move files between PC and Mac applications), I doubt if that will change.

Kevin B

--
Kevin Busby, Studio Manager, Department of Music, University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England. Tel: +44-(0)121-414 5785.