bibio [long]

Subject: bibio [long]
From: Paschall de Paor (pdp@ul.ie)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 15:52:55 EDT

Hi,

paschall de paor here. I run a music technology masters degree here at the
University of Limerick, Ireland.
I find myself in a great, though somewhat odd, position.
Since the beginning of my course, I have ensured a reasonably high quality
bibliography is in stock, in addition to a comprehensive audio and sample CD
collection (and of course mustech equipment, though that is not at issue
today).

The odd position I find myself in stems from the workings of university
budgets, esp. book budgets. They take a long time to come, and are taken
away very soon thereafter. Anything unspent is lost forever (i.e., 'you only
spent £5000 of £23000 last year, so you only get £5000 this year').
So, upon arrival of this years budget (two months ago), I have steadily
ordered books, CDs, back issues, etc. Our comprehensive collection has
grown.

So where is the problem ?
My libarian informed me a couple of weeks ago that no-one was ordering, and
as I have a reputation for ordering the weird and wonderful in quantity,
could I increase my ordering rate. I duly obliged, as one does. I found
myself digging deeply in my wish list (to the extent that Miroslav Vitous'
Symphonic Orchestra sample CDs, @ 2600 UK £, was authorised!).
I have just been informed that the book budget is being pulled next week,
and anything unspent, well....
So, I must get my remaining orders organised asap. However, and here is the
'problem', I am running out of items to order !!!
I simply cannot think of anything else of relevance to my course. We seem to
have everything. Now, I *never* expected to be in such a position - imagine,
you have all the texts, CDs, etc. relevant to music technology, computer
music, etc.
I must be wrong - surely there is something else to get.

So, I am asking the kind and experienced CEC list souls for help. Please
send me your bibliographies, wish lists, audio CDs, etc. I will sift through
whatever I receive, and hopefully we won't have it. If the list wishes, I
will organise and re-post.

Odd position indeed. If anyone can help, I will appreciate it. It would be
such a shame to have this money re-allocated to some photocopying,
headed-paper, or whatever administrative budget. Far better it is spent on
electroacoustic music and music technology.

As an indication, I have included my most recent order (there have been
several).

Hope you can help me

regards

paschall

BTW, some of the more important texts are out of print, but I keep ordering
in case I miss a re-print. Furthermore, due to time constraints, some of
these are *probably* already here - no time to check, but just in case....