floride

Subject: floride
From: paul steenhuisen (ba@unixg.ubc.ca)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 20:48:29 EDT

hello again, the oxygen-to-fire factor with regard to statements made here
is bewildering.
not only has it never been mentioned that this festival shouldn't exist,
but never was it stated that academics have unlimited resources for travel
having spent most of my adult life in an academic setting, i'm well aware
of that. and having been a presenter of electroacoustic concerts for ~5
years on a budget of zero, am also well aware of funding issues. the point
within all of this remains, however, that one's inability to get to florida
eliminates the possibility of having a good, well-presented performance.
anyone can indeed do what they want with their own festival, but, in
principal, it sucks that not being present eliminates the prospect of
performance. taking into consideration the pros and cons of the (chosen)
status of being a freelance concert-music composer and a composer in the
university setting, i'm sure many unafiliated composers wish they had the
$2000 of their own money to pay for the travel. all is not equal in that
regard. having said that, i am speaking from a position of moderate luxury
rather than sour grapes, since in my post as composer in residence with the
toronto symphony orchestra, my own travel expenses are covered. with the
many obstacles already present in trying to get excellent music performed,
it's unfortunate that another one such as this could prevent a good piece
from being played in what is by many accounts a good setting. that's all,
and it remains valid, as valid as the fact that those defending the
festival and its regulation are those in advanced positions with likely
greater financial resources than those disputing it. in other countries
i've listened on numerous occassions to the same complaint made about this
festival, and while different people complain about it each year, i'm sure
just as many don't bother submitting their work, for financial reasons.
obviously some of the composers who have been present in the past are
important in the development of our field and have made great
contributions, but the person who is squeezed due to this policy is likely
the young punker who sunk all her money into a home studio and is trying to
cut it on her own. this energy is what will keep it all going in the long
run. i've never submitted a work for consideration at this festival, and
while i hope for nothing less than success in your floridian festival, i
also hope that there do emerge festivals which are less financially
exclusive.
back to it,
paul