Re: 9th Annual Florida Electroacoustic Music Festival Call for Works/Participation

Subject: Re: 9th Annual Florida Electroacoustic Music Festival Call for Works/Participation
From: James Paul Sain (jsain@nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 16:26:51 EDT

Dear Colleagues,

paul steenhuisen said:

>the attendance issue for the Florida Electroacoustic Music Festival comes
>up each year,
>with non-institutionalized composers rightly stating their frustration at
>effectively having their music ineligible for performance due to not having
>the money to be present for the performance. university regulations or
>not, the festival may in fact be legislating it's own incremental
>irrelevance. while it becomes increasingly easy to transfer/send
>information, with funding available to artists on the decline there is a
>decrease in the probability of being present for these performances. as
>tenured professors retire and their positions are increasingly filled with
>sessionals, travel funding available to composers within universities is
>therefore applicable to an increasingly small segment of the compositional
>community. unless there are changes that reflect the changing situation of
>composers in the community, the result for the festival may mean increased
>localization and/or concentration upon the music of an extremely small
>segment of the active musical community. due to the financial constraints
>on freelance/independent composers, in most cases it's simply not possible
>to travel to a performance unless the festival provides the funding. this
>lack of recognition of a large segment of the community then reduces the
>programming possiblities, and quite likely makes for a less interesting
>festival. that isn't to take away from the work of barry truax et al, but
>is rather a statement that a stupid rule requiring the composer to be
>present for the festival is depriving it from other good music, such as
>that of ned and many others. there is an excellent festival in montreal
>already, rien a voir, and many other activities within and without the
>universities, but that doesn't negate the ramifications of the
>presence=performance rule at the florida festival. surely it must be
>possible to create a venue whereby a certain percentage of pieces performed
>are by composers who aren't present, in order to fulfill funding
>regulations and maintain a festival that draws upon a wider pool of
>composers. if not, you may find that in 10 you're cycling through the same
>list of composers, and listeners may go to montreal instead, for a broader
>and more interesting spectrum of programming.

I apologize for adding to this circular discussion...as we've all been
through this before (for many years). Our festival is just that...ours.
If you believe that a better festival can be organized and funded then I
encourage you to move forward with such. I personally don't feel that it
does any good to arm chair quarterback. I am the most familiar with the
situation and requirements currently in place at the University of Florida.
Without the conference-like attendance policy there would be _no_ festival.
I guess to some it would be better that 8 concerts of electroacoustic
acoustic music, paper session, workshops, etc, be eliminated from existence
because they are unable to attend.

I believe if anyone looks at the festival web site
(http://emu.music.ufl.edu/femf/)that they'll find our selections are of
high quality by outstanding composers, both established and emerging, from
around the world. Our associate director, Javier Garavaglia, keeps us in
touch with our European colleagues from his home base in Essen, Germany
(and he attends each year without benefit of a high paying teaching
position or large inheritance). We also annually present within the
festival three curated concerts of works from various studios and areas of
the world (Germany, Latin America, New York, Texas, etc.); the composers
are not required to attend, only the curator. Anyone familiar with our
festival would know such.

In addition to the festival, I present four unjuried concerts of ea/cm
through our series "Unbalanced Connection" each year in addition to our
festival. I hope listeners go to where ever good music is
programmed...both Florida and Montreal. I am only trying to promote ea/cm
as resources allow.

Over the last eight years our festival has grown in international
participation and attendance. I hope that this will continue and that many
Canadian colleagues will submit this year. I am excited that this year
will be even better than in previous years. Our new conference hotel and
center is will be opening in time for this year's event and promises to
make facilities nicer than ever (in addition to our center for performing
arts concert venue). We're no ICMC but we continue to do the best we can.
I trust you all do the same.

Best Regards,
Jim

Dr. James Paul Sain, Assoc. Prof. | jsain@ufl.edu
Composition, Theory and Technology| http://nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu/~jsain
     Area Head | (352)392-0223 ext 240 office
Director of Electroacoustic Music | (352)392-0461 fax
Univ. of Florida School of Music | Florida Electroacoustic Music Studio
130 Music Bldg./P.O. Box 117900 | http://emu.music.ufl.edu
Gainesville, FL 32611-7900 USA | (352)392-0223 ext 305 studio vmail