Re: Mac with SampleCell used as standalone sampler?

Subject: Re: Mac with SampleCell used as standalone sampler?
From: John Oliver (oliver@earsay.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 02:13:10 EDT

Thanks to those who've given some advice about my Samplecell on a Nubus Mac being
driven from my new G3 Mac. Joaquin gave the best advice which I'll try out when I
get a moment free - ha! (His was the advice about attaching a MIDI cable out of
Studio 4 port into simple MIDI interface connected up to the Nubus Mac.) Thanks
Joaquin. I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Chris - I'm not sure what you refer to below. If you are talking about the Nubus
expansion chassis by digidesign that adds 12 more nubus slots to current Nubus
computer, I decided the cost of setting up such a system was too high compared to
the processor speed advantages of the new G3 computer. Rather than add a bunch of
already obsolete and perhaps hard to find cards to process sound, I thought
plugins was the way to go. The expansion chassis I have seen for sale are usually
selling for $400 US these days. To get some speed you'd have to add a G3
accelerator card to the computer and hope that it would all work. Too risky!

If anyone has successfully accelerated an old Mac with a G3 card, and added the
expansion chassis, TDM, etc., I'd like to hear their stories!

Thanks for everyone's help.

|_|_| John Oliver |_|_| oliver@earsay.com
|_|_| earsay productions |_|_| http://earsay.com