Re: .pc or mac?

Subject: Re: .pc or mac?
From: Dennis Bathory-Kitsz (bathory@maltedmedia.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 12:40:59 EDT

At 12:08 PM 9/16/99 +0100, Kevin Busby <busbykg@novell2.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
>Speed should not a matter of opinion, however: it can be measured (well, in
>theory!). Working from Intel's own benchmarks, Apple claims that "rather
>than being just 35% faster, the new Power Mac G4 is up to a stunning 100%
>to 200% faster than the fastest Pentium III-based PCs"

I have had the first opportunity to actually have a Mac in the studio for a
month. It's a nice hefty G3. And what I found was that disk file transfer
performance slowness more than made up for the processor speed difference
-- and my PCs even have IDE vs. the Mac's SCSI. I confirmed this disk I/O
bottleneck with a Mac developers.

Then I found a serious difference in how the two platforms handle multiple
instances of software. I often process different files simultaneously this
way. This does not appear to something the Mac allows. The developer also
confirmed that such methods aren't handled effectively in the Mac.

These and other experiences with the Mac have come as a surprise. I've
always been told that once I used a Mac, I couldn't go back to the PC. I've
found exactly the opposite, and look forward to returning the Mac.

The Transitive Empire http://maltedmedia.com/empire/
Malted/Media http://maltedmedia.com/
Kalvos & Damian's New Music Bazaar http://kalvos.org/
Erzsebet The Vampire Opera http://bathory.org/