Re: .pc or mac?

Subject: Re: .pc or mac?
From: Kevin Busby (busbykg@novell2.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 07:08:20 EDT

"Dr.Godfried-Willem RAES" <Godfriedwillem.Raes@ping.be> wrote:

>If you dont want to make Microsoft even bigger, check out Linux..., but
>otherwize PC's are the fastest, cheapest and most flexible platform imho.

The question of cheapness and flexibility will probably always remain a
matter of personal perspective (and mailing list contention): the original
enquirer really needs to do a lot of reading up on his subjects of interest
and then raise more specific questions, IMHO.

Speed should not a matter of opinion, however: it can be measured (well, in
theory!). Working from Intel's own benchmarks, Apple claims that "rather
than being just 35% faster, the new Power Mac G4 is up to a stunning 100%
to 200% faster than the fastest Pentium III-based PCs"
(http://www.apple.com/powermac/). Of course, Intel will try to leapfrog
this, Motorola will up the G4 chip used by the PowerMacs, and so on.
Competition of this sort is good for users of either platform! ;-)

Regards

Kevin

--
Kevin Busby, Studio Manager, Department of Music, University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England. Tel: +44-(0)121-414 5785.