Re: Fwd: East Timor

Subject: Re: Fwd: East Timor
From: David Hirst (D.Hirst@latrobe.edu.au)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 20:11:24 EDT

We in Australia are witnessing a holocaust on our doorstep - East Timor. The
trouble is the international community must intervene quickly to avert a total
decimation of a people, but seems unwilling to do so. Perhaps this is because
the international community is not aware of what is going on there, or of its
gravity. Here are the latest facts:

Dili has been layed to waist through fire & looting.
Its inhabitants have either fled or been forcibly trucked out by the
militia/military.
There have been mass killings (including priests & nuns).
Unlike Kosovo, the refugees have nowhere to go other than (Indonesian) West
Timor because Timor is an island (some lucky ones have been airlifted to
Darwin).
The military & militias are out of control.
President Habibi has no control over the military.

The UN must act NOW! Australia is willing to be a major part of a
peace-keeping force, so

Please make all of your networks aware of this situation.
Please contact & lobby your own politicians to take action in the UN.
FAX the numbers provided below & your own government's offices with your
concern.

David