Re: 'Oklahoma' & Andres Lewin-Richter

Subject: Re: 'Oklahoma' & Andres Lewin-Richter
From: ian stonehouse (i.stonehouse@gold.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 10:22:49 EDT

>ian stonehouse wrote:
>>When I was 12 years old my mother came home with a secondhand copy of the
>>soundtrack to 'Oklahoma' she'd bought at the Saturday afternoon market, in
>>the our local Village Hall. As she took the vinyl LP out of the sleeve she
>>had a nasty surprise - it was a rather scratched record of Electronic Music
>>featuring Andres Lewin-Richter, alongside pieces by Tzvi Avni, Walter
>>Carlos & Ilhan Mimaroglu (it was on the Vox/Turnabout label, from 1965).
>
>That's funny! My mother came home with a second-hand copy of 'Electronic
>Music', as a result of which I've always had a soft spot for 'Oklahoma'. :-.

Ahah - the mystery is solved after all these years...

>Is this the 'Electronic Music' LP which features Mimaroglu's 'Le Tombeau
>d'Edgar Poe'? That was an early 2nd-hand listen for me, too... Yet
>surprisingly, he seems to be an unknown name even to many educated
>listeners?

It is the very same - that's a wonderful piece - we have one of our music
computers named after him here. He's a composer who rarely seems gets a
mention.

>Twang twang....
bleep-bloop

>KevinB
>
>PS
>
>>At the time I only had 3 records in my 'collection' - the '1812 Overture',
>>a hit single by Gary Glitter (ahem) & 'Orpheus In The Underworld'
>
>If the Glitter (ahem indeed) is 'Rock 'n' Roll Part 2', may I recommend the
>synthesised version by the (original) Human League as a suitable
>replacement? No? OK...

No - it was "Good To Be Back"/"IOU", bought in Wollworths for the princely
sum of 60p (if memory serves). I'd recommend The Young Gods version of
"Good To be Back" (if it even exists - I taped it off Radio 3's 'Mixing It'
a few years ago and i nearly passed-out with laughter).

Bizarrely enough Gary Glitter did do a cover of Ilhan Mimaroglu's 'Le
Tombeau d'Edgar Poe' on a rare 12" picture disc issued in 1977 .... no, if
only it were true... never mind.

>--
>Kevin Busby, Studio Manager, Department of Music, University of Birmingham,
>Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England. Tel: +44-(0)121-414 5785.
>Fax: +44-(0)121 414 5781. If your email to me bounces, please see
>http://web.bham.ac.uk/busbykg/contact.html. No to GE crops.

_______________________________________

Ian Stonehouse
Studio Manager
Electronic Music Studio
Goldsmiths College, University of London
New Cross, London SE14 6NW

tel. +44 (0)171 919 7643 (direct)
            +44 (0)171 919 7640 (music dept office)
fax. +44 (0)171 919 7644