Re: 'Oklahoma' & Andres Lewin-Richter

Subject: Re: 'Oklahoma' & Andres Lewin-Richter
From: Kevin Busby (busbykg@novell2.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 09:45:28 EDT

ian stonehouse wrote:
>When I was 12 years old my mother came home with a secondhand copy of the
>soundtrack to 'Oklahoma' she'd bought at the Saturday afternoon market, in
>the our local Village Hall. As she took the vinyl LP out of the sleeve she
>had a nasty surprise - it was a rather scratched record of Electronic Music
>featuring Andres Lewin-Richter, alongside pieces by Tzvi Avni, Walter
>Carlos & Ilhan Mimaroglu (it was on the Vox/Turnabout label, from 1965).

That's funny! My mother came home with a second-hand copy of 'Electronic
Music', as a result of which I've always had a soft spot for 'Oklahoma'. :-.

Is this the 'Electronic Music' LP which features Mimaroglu's 'Le Tombeau
d'Edgar Poe'? That was an early 2nd-hand listen for me, too... Yet
surprisingly, he seems to be an unknown name even to many educated
listeners?

Twang twang....

KevinB

PS

>At the time I only had 3 records in my 'collection' - the '1812 Overture',
>a hit single by Gary Glitter (ahem) & 'Orpheus In The Underworld'

If the Glitter (ahem indeed) is 'Rock 'n' Roll Part 2', may I recommend the
synthesised version by the (original) Human League as a suitable
replacement? No? OK...

--
Kevin Busby, Studio Manager, Department of Music, University of Birmingham,
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, England. Tel: +44-(0)121-414 5785.