'Oklahoma' & Andres Lewin-Richter

Subject: 'Oklahoma' & Andres Lewin-Richter
From: ian stonehouse (i.stonehouse@gold.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 06:21:46 EDT

When I was 12 years old my mother came home with a secondhand copy of the
soundtrack to 'Oklahoma' she'd bought at the Saturday afternoon market, in
the our local Village Hall. As she took the vinyl LP out of the sleeve she
had a nasty surprise - it was a rather scratched record of Electronic Music
featuring Andres Lewin-Richter, alongside pieces by Tzvi Avni, Walter
Carlos & Ilhan Mimaroglu (it was on the Vox/Turnabout label, from 1965).

At the time I only had 3 records in my 'collection' - the '1812 Overture',
a hit single by Gary Glitter (ahem) & 'Orpheus In The Underworld'. My
mother was very annoyed that it wasn't 'Oklahoma' and was in favour of
throwing the record into the rubbish bin. I asked if I could keep, if only
what sort of music lived on an unwanted record, and also to expand my
meagre record collection. I went upstairs to listen to it and I loved all
the music immediately, though I didn't understand why or how this music was
made. I continued to listen to it on my Bush mono record player, that I
kept under the bed, even inviting friends over to hear the 'best bits', the
whereabouts of which I knew by sight thanks to the pattern of the record
grooves.

This chance event started my whole fascination & subsequent work in the
field of electronic music, so it's a big thank you to Andres
Lewin-Richter's 'Study No.1', and all the other pieces on there, as well as
to 'Oklahoma' (or at least the album sleeve).

_______________________________________

Ian Stonehouse
Studio Manager
Electronic Music Studio
Goldsmiths College, University of London
New Cross, London SE14 6NW

tel. +44 (0)171 919 7643 (direct)
            +44 (0)171 919 7640 (music dept office)
fax. +44 (0)171 919 7644