B&W G3 USB midi (and other) problems

Subject: B&W G3 USB midi (and other) problems
From: David J. Topper (topper@virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 15:10:52 EDT

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, but have been told it's a good one. We recently
got 5 new B&W G3s for one of our labs. They're 333s with OS 8.6. I've
connected MidiSport USB devices to them, and it all works. But
intermittent problems seem to arise:

1. Machines will hang on reboot, loading extensions, but then hanging
on the desktop. Inserting the CD (but not even booting from it) and
rebooting solves the problem.

2. Some machines seem to power off on their own.

3. Once got an error about not being able to initialize the USB device
because there wasn't enough power.

I'm wondering if other folks have had good / bad experience with USB
MIDI. The problem I think is that the MidiSport devices are not self
powered. But then again, it could be a USB problem too. I've heard USB
support is still very young on the Mac.

Feedback more than welcome.

Dave Topper

--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)