K&D needs composer/label help

Subject: K&D needs composer/label help
From: Dennis Bathory-Kitsz (bathory@maltedmedia.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 1999 - 21:41:46 EDT

Hi all,

The Kalvos & Damian on-line archives are in the process of getting
clearances, but it's a big task. The U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act
is going into effect here in the States, and it's a struggle -- especially
since an unhappy composer (not even one represented on our site!) is using
the new law to threaten our sponsors, and pull the plug on the show archive.

We're asking that any of you who submitted material to us, or any labels
reading this list who have had music played on K&D, provide us with a
revocable license that gives permission to archive material (RealAudio 28.8
mono) for the next 12 months while we get paperwork together to address the
new law, clearances arranged, and fees negotiated.

As many of you know, this is a volunteer gig for two composers attempting
to give new music -- especially music from this community, of which I'm a
part -- a wider voice in the rough musical marketplace. Erasing the
archives really helps no one, and permission from each of you is kindly
requested for as long as you'd like to offer it. We have been requesting
permission since the spring (see
http://www.goddard.edu/kalvos/kalvnews.html#recordings), but haven't been
too worried about it until this latest threat from a composer with plenty
of time and money to threaten us.

Thanks to all.

Wearily,
Dennis