Re: Beijing

Subject: Re: Beijing
From: a l an b am f o rd (alanb@lavalink.com.au)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 09:49:03 EDT

gabbling on about Re: Beijing Chris was heard to mutter...

> >But a question of timing !?!?!?!?!?!? Hello!!!! China ..
>
> Alan, perhaps you misunderstood?

quite possibly....

> I simply don't think that any gesture as of so little economic importance
> as a boycott of a conference by computer musicians would have any meaning
> whatsoever, couched as an isolated protest of an ongoing occupation. Now
> if China were to invade Taiwan next week...

d'accord

> So, yes, I think that picking your battles, and getting your timing right
> is a pragmatic, political fact of protest.

ahhh..I see what you mean in terms of timing....

Anniversaries are one such
> rallying point, political prisoners another, etc.
>
> Did you know, by the way, that sales of Chardonnay dip about 20% after
> every French nuclear test (so Salman Rushdie says)? We're funny creatures,
> we Westerners.

short memories I reckon...

third monk software?.... inrtiguing,..

ab
"Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds"
Wild Bill Shakespeare.