Re: Beijing

Subject: Re: Beijing
From: Linda A. Seltzer (lseltzer@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 14:55:50 EDT

A few years ago the NY Times reported that Christmas lights
being made in China were being made by prison labor. I don't
know what other goods are being manufactured under such
conditions. I don't know whether a whole conference should be
boycotted, but I wouldn't purchase items that were reported
to have been made there by prison labor.

This is now the 10th anniversary of Tiannemen Square, and yet
I hear about no discussions, no protests in commemoration,
here or anywhere. This year, after the NATO troops
accidentally hit the Chinese embassy in Serbia, there was
a tremendous wave of anti-American sentiment in China. I
don't know the degree to which such sentiments will affect
individual American tourists attending a conference.

Linda Seltzer