Re: Other Music's

Subject: Re: Other Music's
From: Dolphy5948@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 08:45:07 EDT

Since I have been on this list for the past three years, there has been very
little to no discussion of music that does not come under the banner of
academia/"art music"(besides for the Aphex Twins affair).

As a independent musician/composer working in the realm of improv, I am of
the opinion that much great music has been produced via "other musics", some
commercial, some not. To me, I hold such pieces as the Beatles "Tomorrow
Never Knows", Hendrix, "Are You Experienced", etc in as high esteem as I do
Varese, Stockhausen, Xenakis, etc. I am not saying that one is better than
the other, but that there are two views to the same reality.

To me, there is an energy, a fourth dimesion to such works as Herbie
Hancock's Sextant/Crossings, to Sun Ra, to Miles Davis's On the Corner/Get Up
with It, Braxton/Teitelbaum duets, George Lewis, George Russell, to the other
end of the Spectrum; Velvet Underground, Suicide, Beach Boys (Pet Sounds,
Smiley Smile), Carbaret Voltaire, Suicide, Public Image, Eno, Orb, Throbbing
Gristle, etc.

I know that many out here will feel that these artists/idioms have no place
for serious discusssion out here, but I would disagree. Serious music is
serious music, whether it is produced in a basement, Electric Lady Land, Bell
Labs, or Columbia University.

Just a thought...

Joseph Benzola
Amanita Music