Re: Beijing

Subject: Re: Beijing
From: Chris Rolfe (rolfe@sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 03:51:30 EDT

>But a question of timing !?!?!?!?!?!? Hello!!!! China has been progressively
>destroying Tibet for 40 years and the only respites for the Tibetans have
>come at times when China needed to concentrate troops and recources
>elsewhere, like during the odd war with India, Korea and its own people
>(Tienanmin). Then it tooka deep breath and usually punished the Tibetans
>harder for daring to look up in the interim.
>
>Its NEVER a question of timing. As an individual you either engage with
>tyranny or you dont. We all do, as I survey the labels on my chain store
>clothes and type on my keyboard, and the question then aries to what
>extent and why. Its going on all the time and we're all on the planet.

Alan, perhaps you misunderstood?

I simply don't think that any gesture as of so little economic importance
as a boycott of a conference by computer musicians would have any meaning
whatsoever, couched as an isolated protest of an ongoing occupation. Now if
China were to invade Taiwan next week...

So, yes, I think that picking your battles, and getting your timing right
is a pragmatic, political fact of protest. Anniversaries are one such
rallying point, political prisoners another, etc.

Did you know, by the way, that sales of Chardonnay dip about 20% after
every French nuclear test (so Salman Rushdie says)? We're funny creatures,
we Westerners.

By the way, I had an almost immediate response from one of the organizers
to the effect that the jury selection of papers and music was conducted, of
course, as per normal, and that, to their knowledge, there were no controls
placed on domestic attendees. I think this political hacking is perhaps
unfair to the folks behind the ICMC.

>just pressed a button...
>
>alan
>"Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds"
>Wild Bill Shakespeare.

Don't apologize. It's a fine button to have...

Cheers,

Chris

Third Monk Software
262. W. 6th St.