Re: Beijing

Subject: Re: Beijing
From: a l an b am f o rd (alanb@lavalink.com.au)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 01:07:12 EDT

gabbling on about Re: Beijing Chris was heard to mutter...

> I'm not attending, but only because of my schedule. When I WAS hoping to
> attend, I did a bit of ethical calculus, and figured it was ok.

and...

> On the other, I probably WOULD boycott any event in any country in the
> immediate aftermath of a spectacularly repressive crackdown. So I'm not
> sold on the apolitical point of view in all circumstances. It's a question
> of timing.

In my limited experience I agree that cultural boycotts have little effect.
Commercial ons can bite however... can we remember Apartheid?...great
commercial considrations flowing out of the banned trade with that country
were a major element in Bothas initial opening up to change.

Cultural exchange is good as it gets alternative views into the country and
allows at least some of the people to experience difference.

But a question of timing !?!?!?!?!?!? Hello!!!! China has been progressively
destroying Tibet for 40 years and the only respites for the Tibetans have
come at times when China needed to concentrate troops and recources
elsewhere, like during the odd war with India, Korea and its own people
(Tienanmin). Then it tooka deep breath and usually punished the Tibetans
harder for daring to look up in the interim.

Its NEVER a question of timing. As an individual you either engage with
tyranny or you dont. We all do, as I survey the labels on my chain store
clothes and type on my keyboard, and the question then aries to what
extent and why. Its going on all the time and we're all on the planet.

just pressed a button...

alan
"Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds"
Wild Bill Shakespeare.