Re: Why Computer Music Sucks

Subject: Re: Why Computer Music Sucks
From: Douglas Doherty (DouglasJPDoherty@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 06:57:15 EDT

Freud at work here...?
>System compatibility is enough of a minefield
>for Digidesign on the Mac platform, never mind having to consider all the
>permutations possible on a Mac).

That should have read "...on a PC", of course. Sorry.

Why is system compatibility such a problem even on a Macintosh? From my
experience it seems to be because everything is pushed to the limit, in
particular SCSI HDD performance? Is this the case? Performance close to
the edge all the time? I know that on the Prisma system I used the track
capability per HDD was 6 and it didn't really care what HDDs were hung off
it. It crashed in single figures over a couple of years. Yet Pro Tools
can take a vast number of tracks off one disk.

I don't know but would like to.

KB