Re: Why Computer Music Sucks

Subject: Re: Why Computer Music Sucks
From: Ross Bencina (rossb@audiomulch.com)
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 14:03:59 EDT

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
>One composer/programmer told me the Windows APIs just weren't acceptable to
>him.

Funny, I switched from developing on the Mac to the PC because I don't
believe there is a development environment on the Mac that is workable for
developing large scale apps solo (I use Borland C++Builder on the PC).

As far as convergence goes, it seems to me (and many other developers) that
neither MS or Apple is on the ball in terms of providing acceptable OS
support for Real-time Audio. Market issues aside there are plenty of reasons
to go for Linux or BeOS. Both Steinberg and Emagic have/are releasing major
products for BeOS. I'm not sure the convergence will arrive before the
divergence.

>... and I
>sure wouldn't mind an HMSL for Java. That way PC and Mac could both use it.

I was under the impression that this was in the works...

Ross
http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb/