Re: Why Computer Music Sucks

Subject: Re: Why Computer Music Sucks
From: Dennis Bathory-Kitsz (bathory@maltedmedia.com)
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 13:43:28 EDT

At 01:00 PM 8/3/99 -0400, Douglas Doherty wrote:

>I believe that the future of "Computer Music" will be platform independent,
>with all systems converging. In the meantime Avid I believe are ceasing
>developments for Macintosh because they need more slots.

Until the convergence, how does one convince the developers of extant Mac
stuff to make it available on the consumer PC platform (as opposed to
releases like Max for the pricey WinNT) or Java? I often get a glazed look
or a "a Mac is cheap why don't you buy one" response. One
composer/programmer told me the Windows APIs just weren't acceptable to
him. Another told me he won't use Java because it only works right on a PC
(is that still true?). It's too bad an "interim convergence" seems to be
avoided, especially with some of the more familiar tools. Some recent work
in Java is very encouraging (Nick Didkovsky is doing great stuff) ... and I
sure wouldn't mind an HMSL for Java. That way PC and Mac could both use it.

Dennis

The Transitive Empire http://maltedmedia.com/empire/
Malted/Media http://maltedmedia.com/
Kalvos & Damian's New Music Bazaar http://kalvos.org/